AFC U-19 Championship 2020 Qualifiers - Hong Kong U-18 2:1 Timor-Leste U-18


Hong Kong took on Timor-Leste on Sunday afternoon in Gelora Bung Karno Training Field, Indonesia for its final Group K fixture in the AFC U-19 Championship 2020 Qualifiers. Hong Kong conceded the first goal of the game but stormed back to defeat Timor-Leste by 2:1.

Timor-Leste put the Hong Kong defense under pressure right after the opening-whistle. On the opening minute, Gumario Da Silva Moreira’s long free-kick reached the Hong Kong penalty area. Jhon Frith Ornai Liu applied a timely header but could not find the target with his header.

Several minutes later, Eilas Joao Mesquita found himself on the receiving-end of a great forward pass from Jhon Frith Ornai. Mesquita went one-on-one against Hong Kong goalkeeper Ng Wai-him but saw his shot denied by the Hong Kong custodian.

Timor-Leste opened the score on the 18th minute, as Eilas Joao Mesquita took advantage of some sloppy passing from the Hong Kong defense, stepped up and drilled the ball into the net, putting his side in front.

On the 22nd minute, it was still Timor-Leste. This time, Expedito Soares Da Conceicao shook off pressure from a Hong Kong player, then pulled the trigger on a thunderous right-footer, only to be turned away by Hong Kong goalkeeper Ng Wai-him.

Near the half-hour mark, Hong Kong’s Chang Kwong-yin had, not one but two, great chances to tie the game for his side. Unfortunately for Hong Kong, Chang’s initial shot failed to hit the target, while his header several minutes later went off-target as well.

Hong Kong drew level on the 44th minute, as Anson Wong’s free-kick hit the Timor-Leste wall and dropped near Chang Kwong-yin. The latter reacted quickly and tucked home the loose ball. The score was 1:1 entering the half-time break.

Hong Kong kept the pressure coming in the second-half. On the 50th minute, Jesse Yu floated a sweet corner-kick into the Timor-Leste box. Chan Shinichi soared high at the far-post and nodded the ball, only to witness his effort cleared off the goal-line by a Timor-Leste player.

On the 60th minute, Hong Kong’s Chan Shinichi unloaded a cracking long-range drive from over thirty yards out of the Timor-Leste net, only to be met by a superb save from goalkeeper Junildo Manuel Perreira.

Hong Kong took the lead on the 75th minute, as Chan Shinichi found Lau Ka-kiu with a fine pass. Lau righted himself, before belting a great strike that found the corner of the Timor-Leste goal. Hong Kong was up 2:1 at this point.

Both sides failed to add to the score in the remaining regulation time, as Hong Kong went on to secure a 2:1 victory over Timor-Leste.

(Photo from AFC)